Y’all, this recipe was originally meant to sit atop a salad, but at some point in my youth, mother transposed it onto asparagus (we never did eat it on top of the originally specified spinach) and life was better because of it.
This salad always shows up at the holidays but it also shows up at many a proper dinner as well. You will notice that you need to make your own vinaigrette. I promise that this process is painless and you’ll find the instructions/ingredients below.
For the Vinaigrette
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup + 2 T dijon mustard
- 3 T red wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- Whisk all ingredients together in a bowl until thoroughly blended. This dressing doesn’t usually make it past the one week mark in our house, but understandably, it may have a longer lifespan in your refrigerator. Use your best food safety judgement.
For the Salad
- One bunch asparagus, cleaned
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- Blue cheese crumbles
- Bacon crumbles
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- Blanch the asparagus and set into serving dish.
- Layer asparagus with blue cheese crumbles, bacon crumbles, onion and drizzle with vinaigrette.
- Add cracked black pepper to taste.
- You can serve warm or chilled – it’s excellent both ways. If you are going to serve it chilled, do not incorporate the vinaigrette until serving time.
- This is a very forgiving recipe, so feel free to substitute or eliminate toppings completely!