I got the idea for the Zucchini-Cheese blend from Jenna, and it is a marvelous thing. It does something mystical with the cheese that makes it even more wonderful than if it were to just be cheese alone. Make it happen.
- 1 par-baked pizza crust
- 2 cups (1 large) zucchini, grated and drained (squeeze it, big time)
- 1 package (2 cups) mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 large tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2-3 T olive oil
- Red onion, carmelized
- 7 basil leaves, chiffonade-d (basically, slice it into ribbons)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. If you’ve just baked your pizza crust, then it should already be there.
- Combine zucchini and cheese mixture. Set aside.
- Using pastry/basting brush, spread olive oil evenly across crust. Following this, distribute minced garlic on crust.
- Place tomatoes on crust, evenly spacing. Spread basil over tomatoes.
- Add onions as the next layer, evenly distributing.
- Finally spread zucchini-cheese mixture over crust.
- Place in the oven and bake until cheese is bubbly (approximately 15-20 minutes).
Note: Obviously you can feel free to incorporate other vegetables into this mix. If you love onions, but don’t want to go through the hassle of throwing them on the stove, you can always slice them thinly and throw them on raw. I only selected red onions because my Mom once explained to me that they added a pretty touch to your dishes. If you do this, make sure to throw them on-top so that you can make sure they cook-up.
If you’ve never grated zucchini before, fear not. After washing the vegetable, you just go after the whole thing with a cheese grater. If you’ve never drained zucchini before, you can either wrap it in a paper towel and squeeze it over the sink or take it in your bare hands and squeeze it. Just make sure you get ALL of the moisture out.