Based off of the epic Mexican Pizza at Zorbaz in Crosslake, I hope that you’ll love this dinner as much as we do!
- One batch of Pizza Crust, par-baked for 15 minutes
- One pound ground turkey
- One packet taco seasoning (we prefer Trader Joe’s)
- One onion, finely chopped
- Three tomatoes, diced
- One jalapeno (seeded or not), diced
- One bunch cilantro, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- One can refried beans
- One small can tomato sauce
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees if it isn’t there already. I’m assuming that you’ve probably just par-baked your pizza crust, but just in case.
- Brown the meat with the taco seasoning. Pro-tip: To maximize the taco flavor, use the whole packet and mix it directly with the meat instead of doing any nonsense with water or whatever. It puts the flavor directly into the meat and will change your life forever. Set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the diced tomatoes, onions, cilantro and jalapeno. Salt and pepper that situation to taste. Set aside.
- Open up the can of refried beans. Spread that whole can across the base of your pizza.
- Open up the can of tomato sauce. Pour 3/4 can over the refried beans base. Spread it gently – you do not want to mix the layers.
- Take the taco meat and sprinkle/dump/distribute it evenly across the pizza.
- Spread the shredded cheese across the top of the pizza.
- Bake for 15 minutes and serve with the pico de gallo mixture. Depending on your audience, you may consider putting the pico onto the pizza AFTER the meat, topping the whole thing with cheese and then baking. Your call.