In these, we’re confronted with the paradox of Cultural Authenticity vs. Stovetop Stuffing on Crack.
Y’all know what always wins out in the end.
Eat them as a meal, bring them to a party, keep them to yourself.
All signs point to “Yes.”
- 1 package cremini mushrooms
- 1/4 red onion, minced
- ~ 1 T butter
- ~3-4 T whipped cream cheese
- 1/4 c bread crumbs
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Rinse mushrooms and remove stems. Set stems aside
- Place mushrooms stem-side down in a lightly greased baking dish. Place in oven for 10 minutes or until mushrooms begin to exude brown liquid
- Remove from oven. Remove mushrooms from pan, drain liquid from pan and replace mushrooms in pan, stem side up
- Finely chop mushroom stems. Over medium heat, melt butter, add chopped mushroom stems
- Saute for approximately 5 minutes. Incorporate onions, continue to cook until onions are translucent. Season with salt, pepper and oregano to taste
- Transfer seasoned mushroom and onion mixture from frying pan to bowl. Mix in bread crumbs and cheese. The mixture will be thick
- Using a small spoon (I’ve found that a half teaspoon works well), scoop stuffing mixture into mushroom cavities
- Return mushrooms to oven. Bake uncovered for ~20 minutes