- 2 quarts apple juice
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 2 T whole cloves
- 8 whole cardamom pods
- Dash of nutmeg
- 1/2 pound golden raisins
- A fifth of dark rum (or to taste)
- A fifth of brandy (or to taste)
- Shell cardamom pods and crush seeds between two spoons. Mix cardamom with cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg.
- Place all spices in a clean handkerchief and tie tightly with a string.
- Place spice sack in apple juice and simmer covered for 30 minutes.
- Pour in raisins and let stand overnight.
- Before serving, bring apple juice to a boil.
- Reduce heat and let stand for one hour, uncovered.
- Add rum and brandy, heat but do not boil.
- Serve in mugs.