This is a recipe that I copied down and modified from God only knows what Indian Cookbook. I’m glad that I did, because it is has become a part of our rotation!
- 1 lb mushrooms, quartered
- 2-3T oil (we use olive or coconut)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 2″ piece ginger, finely chopped (or grated from frozen is fine)
- 2-4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 2 bell peppers, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 t cumin
- 2 t coriander
- 1 t tumeric
- 1/2 t cayenne
- 1 t salt
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 1/4 c fresh (or frozen thawed) peas
- 1/2 c water
- 1/4 c cilantro, finely chopped
- Melt oil over medium heat. Add onion, reduce heat to medium-low and caramelize for ~5 minutes. Add bell pepper and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Raise heat to medium and add ginger, garlic and jalapeno. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in spices/salt and stir continuously until golden-brown and toasty
- Add tomato and cilantro, stir for another minute
- Add peas and mushrooms, stir. Pour in water. Bring to a boil, turn heat down to a simmer. Cover pan and cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove cover and cook for an additional 5-7 minutes or until sauce thickens.
- Serve with rice, chutney and naan.