A simple, delicious and strikingly versatile dish. Preparing it for a weeknight dinner makes the ordinary special. Preparing it for guests makes the special become memorable.
This particular recipe yields an extra-crispy skin because of the initial high heat, dry rub, and olive oil.
You can also make this dish with game hens if desired.
- One chicken (~5 lbs)
- Salt and pepper
- Tarragon (fresh or dried)
- Olive Oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Pat chicken (thawed and body cavity emptied at this point) dry
- Reach beneath the skin on the breast. Dry rub with salt, pepper and tarragon to taste (I mean, don’t actually taste it, but season it as much as you like)
- Rub skin (the exposed side) with a bit of olive oil
- Place in roasting pan or 9″ x 13″ baking pan/dish
- Insert into oven
- Immediately reduce heat to 350 degrees
- Bake for an hour or until chicken is done (165 degrees), serve