Soup is usually a lower-calorie choice, but that doesn’t mean that this one won’t warm you right up when it’s cold outside.
This is another Kat original that is 100% non-scientific and involves my leftovers and pantry staples. You could use different stock, omit the alcohol/broccoli, swap half & half in for whipping cream, chop whole potatoes, anything really.
- One onion, finely chopped
- One stick butter
- 4 cups mashed potatoes (I used frozen leftovers)
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 heads broccoli
- Chop onion and melt butter in pot over medium heat. Sautee onion for five minutes/until translucent
- Mix in thawed mashed potatoes
- Incorporate vegetable stock
- Simmer until liquid has somewhat reduced
- Add wine
- Simmer, yet again
- Chop broccoli into spears/florets. Incorporate into soup
- Simmer…again so that the broccoli softens
- Incorporate heavy whipping cream, stir in, remove from heat
I’m sure you could top this with anything that you find to be delicious, but it was definitely just perfect on its own.