Y’all, in my past life I had lots of time to bake and now I have as much time to bake as Critter allows me while I strap him into his high chair and he can be appeased with tupperware to gnaw on. I would call this cake a two-part cake because I was able to bake the cake during the first round of entertaining, and I made the frosting during the second round of entertaining.
Speaking of which. When it comes down to it, if you’re trying to do the best you can with semi-homemade, I always think that it’s better to doctor a box mix and make some frosting from scratch rather than the other way around.
- 1 box chocolate cake mix
- 1 cup coffee, brewed
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 6 tablespoons salted butter
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 – 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
- 1 jar caramel sauce
- Bake chocolate cake in 9″ X 13″ pan according to package directions BUT, instead of using water, use that cup of coffee that you just brewed.
- When fully baked (according to those package directions!) allow to cool.
- Turn stove to medium heat.
- Combine milk, sugar, and butter. Stir occasionally until the butter is melted and the mixture is just bubbling around the edges.
- Dump chocolate chips into pan and stir until fully melted.
- Pour hot frosting mixture over top of cake and spread evenly.
- Scatter nuts (as desired) across frosting. Gently press into frosting (if needed) to make sure that they’ll stay in place!
- Prior to serving, heat up jar of caramel. Slice cake, and drizzle caramel (as desired) across each slice of cake.