Since the type of granola I especially enjoy costs $5 at the store, I thought it was probably time to learn how to make some of my own. While this mix isn’t especially clumpy, it’s pretty freaking fantastic.
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup coconut
- 2 T honey
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 T brown sugar
- 1 t vanilla
- ~1 cup dried blueberries
- Pre-heat the oven to 300 degrees
- Using a medium-sized saucepan and medium low heat, heat honey until thin.
- In a separate bowl, combine oats, coconut and almonds.
- Add olive oil, brown sugar, and vanilla to honey. Stir until well mixed. Incorporate oat-vanilla-almond mixture while heat is still on and stir to coat.
- Remove from heat, pour granola onto greased (I use cooking spray) baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes, remove and stir. Return to oven for an additional five minutes. Remove from oven and stir, add in fruit and return to the oven for an additional five minutes or until mixture is golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Store in an airtight container.
Note: You can use any type of nut you want (though it will change the nutritional value). Also, feel free to use unsweetened coconut if you see it in the grocery store.
The nutritional value is about 100 calories per 1/4 cup.