Once upon a time, I found a recipe for this in one of Nigella’s cookbooks. Fast-forward eight months and I haven’t looked at the recipe in ages. We just go fast-and-loose, eyeballing all the way.
Sometimes we eat this as a side dish, other times it doubles as tzatziki. I’m sure you could re-purpose it on top of fish as well if you put your mind to it. It’s healthy, it’s filling, and besides the yogurt is not terribly expensive to make.
- One Cucumber, seeded and chopped
- One bunch green onions, beheaded and finely chopped
- 1/2 bunch parsley or cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 jalapeno, minced (optional)
- Plain greek yogurt
- 1 t dried dill
- 1 t salt
- 1/2 t pepper
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine cilantro/parsley, green onions, cucumber, and jalapeno if desired.
- Incorporate greek yogurt to desired consistency, keeping in mind the fact that the salad will get “looser” as it sits in the fridge. I find that a cup or a cup and a half works fairly well. Stir
- Incorporate dill, salt and pepper to taste. Stir and refrigerate for 30 minutes prior to serving
- Serve over falafel/gyros/chicken, with pita or as a side dish!