Marcus got back from a business trip this afternoon.
This is the third trip he has taken this year which is less travel than a lot of people but more travel than others.
Due to a confluence of factors (Marcus being gone, Glitter having hand foot and mouth, our other care options being just completely unavailable) I have basically been a stay at home mom this week with part-time childcare for my toddler.
What I will say is that this is the most relaxed that I have been while he has been on travel since Critter was born. This was probably aided by the fact that both of my kids sleep through the night now and I have completely weaned Glitter (separate post but yes it happened!).
I will also note that thanks to the beautiful hormones leaving my body, everything aches, I am completely exhausted, and I swing between nauseous/not hungry and Need To Eat Right Now. I am a fun person to know!!!
Since I had three days where it was just me and Glitter at home during the day, I took the opportunity to tackle more house projects that we just haven’t had time for. Organizing and sorting and storing and purging all of the kids’ clothing, cleaning out closets, re-arranging our kitchen, it was wild. I also had to laugh about how things change! When Critter was a pup this would have seemed totally unmanageable. Now that I have two? Doing all of this stuff with one crawler seems fine.
Now that we’ve done this more than a few times, I feel like we sort of have a routine for when Marcus is gone.
- Plan and pre-make all meals in advance so you don’t have to cook (besides like kid breakfasts, etc.).
- Shower at night so you can spend the morning getting organized and taking care of you before the tots wake up.
- Stock up on coffee and your favorite beer/wine.
- Get a bedtime helper! Especially with toddlers, the hours before bedtime can be hard when the wind is already out of your sails. It’s nice when you don’t have to do it alone.
- Make sure that after bedtime you take some time to sit down and put your feet up.