I might not have packed the 40 outfits that Princess Catherine was rumored to have selected for her North American tour.
Um, but maybe I did.
You see, the last time we did Europe it was out of backpacks. And not proper hikers’ backpacks. But the kind of backpacks a 5th grader might use.
And Cruise Ships lend themselves well to Wardrobe Changes.
I know I’m not the only one who is struck by the irony of the following situation:
- Girl reads fashion magazines like they’re her drugs.
- Contemplates erecting a Shrine To Karl.
- Doesn’t erect a Shrine To Karl.
- Does it in her heart instead.
- Agonizes over pictures of Princess Catherine’s and Pippa’s Rah-Sloane Style.
- Wonders why this new perspective makes American Prep look positively garish.
- Shoots daggers at the Tommy Hilfger ads in her magazines.
- Tommy stopped being cool after he told Oprah he didn’t want black people wearing his clothes like…12 years ago. We don’t Wear Him.
- Unless you also happen to enjoy wearing blood diamonds as a pastime.
- Attempts to re-create aforementioned Middleton family-style here.
- Books tickets to head on over across the pond.
- Packs again.
- Gets off of the plane, only to slip into some sort of terrifyingly touristy jeans and running shoes-arrangement.
I did a ferocious bit of shopping for cardigans, cute tanks and dresses this winter/spring, so it was nice to not have to wage quite as concerted of an effort on those fronts.
So what have I sourced in the last month?
I keep on reminding myself that even though that blue and white Merona arrangement kind of looks like a maternity dress, by the time we make it to the last night of the cruise, I’ll probably be thanking God that I packed something so…forgiving.
In a stroke of irony, the closer we got to leaving, the more concerned I became with what I would actually wear on the airplane rather than what I would wear on the ship.
What’s your go-to airplane outfit?
The pashmina is an essential accessory for me, as is a giant cardigan that can double as a blanket or a pillow in a pinch!