So, I’ve been really good this past spring about not buying clothes, right? That means even though work clothes really aren’t the most fun thing to go hunting for, I was kind of pumped to buy…you know, an entirely new wardrobe. Thus, I present to you the rundown.
- Kohl’s: I know, right? When is the last time I shopped at this place? But, in the spirit of memorial day, significant portions (read: the entire store) of their merchandise were marked down…and we’re talking about the 40%-80% kind of way. I find that their dress pants fit me fairly well, and that was the point of the trip, but I also found some really nice short-sleeved button-down blouses that would go nicely underneath blazers or on their own. I also got this huge, cream-colored leather purse because frankly, of the purses that I currently own, none fit the bill of “kind of professional” and none are large enough to carry two cans of Diet Coke, a lunch, and assorted other sundries comfortably. I also want you all to take note that this is the first time in four years that I bought a non-designer bag and yes, part of me died inside. I am well-aware of how spoiled I am. On a better note, I actually saved more than I spent. Example: (These are not real numbers) If I spent $40, because of all of the discounts, I saved $60 off of the purchase.
- Ann Taylor Loft: I had a coupon that I thought I was going to use. Except oh wait, they marked down the entire store. I scored a pair of khakis for $25 and ended up going back for some black pants after roaming the rest of the mall, searching with little success.
- Express: Shocker – it was sale-time there too. Some of their cardigans were on sale for $20, which I was very okay with. I found a cute teal one and another that was a charcoal gray with rhinestone buttons.
- J.C. Penney’s: I feel like Penney’s and Kohl’s are on the same crappy level except Penney’s charges more and has less cute stuff. BUT, they had the sort of tank-shells I was looking for to wear under my cardigans on sale for $5 because, yes, they have a sale right now too.
- Macy’s: Marcus’ parents gave me a gift card to this place for graduation. Because it magically turned into a pair of LAUREN by Ralph Lauren buff, python pumps (I had no neutral/brown heels), they may have inadvertently given me the best gift. Apparently they just marked down A TON of shoes and so their sale racks are packed with heels that you would actually want to be seen in. The best surprise was that at the register, another $10 mysteriously disappeared from the sale price.
The Moral of the Story: If you need new dress clothes, probably shop the Memorial Day weekend sales in a recession. Its kind of like they’re giving the clothes away for free.